Problems adding an account
If you are experiencing issues adding an account (where the authentication has failed), then this article will explain how you can fix this. Although this problem can sometimes occur, this article aims to provide some simple yet effective ways to resolve problems adding an account to Mailbird.
Below is a screenshot of the kind of message which you will see in these circumstances:
Tips & Fixes
Below are some common ways to resolve this problem. We invite you to try each one, since it might be caused by a combination of these problems.
- The most common reason for a failed authentication, is an incorrect user-name and password combination. Please ensure that you are typing it in correctly (particularly your password)
- Make sure that your antivirus or security software is not blocking Mailbird. We always suggest whitelisting Mailbird in whichever software you use to protect your device, or turning it off entirely whilst using it
- If you are using a VPN connection, please try turning off the VPN, and attempt to authenticate yourself again.
- If you are a Gmail user, please make sure that OAuth 2.0 is selected as Authentication setting as Username & Password are no longer supported by Google.
- If you are a Yahoo user, then you may need to create a third-party password (after you have tried steps 1-3). To do this, please visit their page here to find out what to do.
- If you are an iCloud user, then you may need to create a third-party password (after you have tried steps 1-3). To do this, please visit their page here to find out what to do.
- If you are a Microsoft email account user, you may need to create a dedicated App Password if you do have two-factor authentication enabled (2FA). To create it, please visit this page.
- If you are a Personal Zoho user, then you need to use the imap.zoho.com IMAP server - however, if you are a Zoho Business user, you need to use imappro.zoho.com.
- Furthermore, if you have 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) enabled then you will need to generate an app-specific password. If you do not have it enabled, then you can simply use your usual password. More information (provided directly by Zoho) can be found by clicking here.
- If you are a BT Internet user, occasionally the password might not work even if you have typed it in correctly. The workaround is to change your password for your email account in your webmail (i.e. logging into where you normally go to check your emails), and then try to add your account once again to Mailbird using your new password.
If you still aren't able to successfully connect you email account, then please submit a Support Ticket via the Contact Us form and we will do our very best to help you.