Hello! One of our best productivity tools is our Email Tracking feature. Before we show you how to use this feature in Mailbird, let's look at some general facts about Email Tracking.
- The implementation of Email Tracking does not mean that your email can be tracked, but that you will now have the ability to track emails that you have sent.
- Email Tracking does not mean that Mailbird is insecure. Nothing but the opening time and who has opened the email is being tracked. No other information is shared or collected. This works the same way in all email clients, even if they do not have an email tracking feature that will let you track your sent emails.
- You can control being tracked by not displaying remote images. In Mailbird, remote images are disabled by default. More details about remote images are listed in our Knowledge Base article “Always Show Remote Images”.
- Finally, because we value your privacy, we made it so that Mailbird's Email Tracking feature only tracks two things:
- Who has opened the email.
- When was the email opened.
Mailbird does not show or collect the content of the email, the location of the user who opens it, etc. Should you have any concerns or questions, please do reach out to us and we will be happy to help answer them asap.
How to use Email Tracking
When composing an email, you will find the “Email Tracking” button next to the send button. See the image below.
Click the button to enable Email Tracking. Please note that Email Tracking can only be use 5 times for Personal license users, Business license users can use unlimited Email tracking. You can enable Email Tracking by default in Mailbird menu, located at the top left corner. Go to Settings > Composing and check the box to "Enable Email Tracking by Default"
Email Tracking Status and Notification
Once you send an email with Email Tracking enabled, there are four places where you can check the Email Tracking status: the email list, the preview window, Email Tracking Notification Center, and Email Tracking tray notification.
Email Tracking in email list.
To see the Email Tracking status in the email list, simply hover your mouse to it. The information here is a bit limited and is intended for users who just want to take a quick look at the Email Tracking status. You can see how many recipients have opened the email and how many that has not opened it.
Email Tracking in Preview Window
The icon on the email panel can be clicked to see more details as shown in the image above. This notification gives more complete information, like how many recipients does the email have, a list of their name, and a timestamp of when they actually opened the email.
Email Tracking Notification Center
There also Email Tracking Notifications located at the top right of your Mailbird. This shows a list of recent Email Tracking and if you click on one of them, it will display the email that is tracked. You can see this in action in the picture below.
Email Tracking Tray Notification
Finally, you can also get tray notifications for email tracking. You can see how it work on the screenshot below.
If you don't want to get this type of notifications you can turn it off by going to settings>general, then disable tray notification for Email Tracking. See the screenshot below for more info
Email Tracking Limitation
One limitation of email tracking notification is, if you send an email in Exchange to multiple email addresses, Mailbird will not be able to tell who has opened the email. In this case, the email tracking notifications will show an unknown instead of the name of the people that have open the email.
You can now enjoy the reliability and confidence of knowing that your important emails have been sent and received with Email Tracking in Mailbird. A couple of gentle reminders: Email Tracking will not work if the recipient of the email is blocking remote images. Mailbird only tracks who has opened an email and when an email has been opened. As usual, if you have any issues just email us at email@example.com